bit.ly is a provider for shortening links. Particularly in online shops with long URLs or when sharing flight offers that contain variables in the URL to the flight, location, links quickly become very, very long. Therefore, short link providers became more and more popular. Today there are different providers, e.g. bit.ly.
Nobody wants a single link to clog up the entire comment, so it is recommended to use such shortened links. Use is free of charge and even possible without registration. Links are then simply shortened and redirected to the new URL. This allows you to count how many people have actively clicked the link. This helps e.g. if you monitor influencers and want to analyze the success analysis of sales or clicks. As I said, the use of such offers as bit.ly is completely free. But also the registration, e.g. to track the links or the clicks. This is what a shortened link from bit.ly looks like.
- Example Link: https://example.com/this-is-a-very-long-url-we-use-for-this-article
- Abridged link: http://bit.ly/2RxQW
Of course not only link targets to your own online shop or blog can be packed with such shortened URLs, but also affiliate links. Thus, users do not see the marketing directly.
Of course, there are numerous other free providers on the Internet for shortening links. Here is a list of well-known short link providers
- Bit.ly is a provider to shorten very long URLs
- The usage is free and without registration
- Advantage is also that you can track how often the short link was clicked using the software
- Affiliate links can also be hidden as short links, so that you don’t see the marketing immediately at first glance